Thursday 21 July 2011

The Ramen Review Part I - Hokkaido Ramen Santouka - Vancouver, BC

My last trip to Vancouver included stopping at 3 of my favourite downtown ramen shops! There is no where else in Canada where you can conveniently walk a few blocks in any direction and eat quality authentic ramen.  I LOVE IT!

Located on the west end on Robson Street, Hokkaido Ramen Santouka is considered one of the newer kids on the block.  In past I have had their shoyu and miso cha-su ramen but on this visit I had to have the signature ramen.  Tokusen Toroniku Ramen meaning choice pork ramen is their pride and joy!


The noodles and toppings are served separately.  I like this idea so you don't have to let your meat and toppings drown in broth.  The first few slurps took me back to the red light district in Shinjuku and eating ramen at this shop with a pink pig in front.  Does anyone know what I'm talking about??  All this to say it was extremely satifisying and I really enjoy the noodles they use here as it doesn't get chewy and overcooked.  The meat is incredible!  It's pork cheek meat and apparently only small portions of this are found on the pig.  They compare it to the same sensation as eating fatty tuna.  I agree 100%.  This pork melted in your mouth, unbelievably tender.  Surprisingly it wasn't as fatty as I thought it would be which was a bonus!

This place is busy and rightfully so.  There is usually a line up, especially on the weekends for the evening hours. My first stop this time for ramen was a great success!! I was hungry for more and couldn't wait to get to Motomachi for my next meal - my usual ramen stop in Vancouver.

Hokkaido Ramen Santouka on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment