Saturday 9 July 2011

Guu Otokomae - Vancouver, BC


 

Guu... is guuuuud!  It doesn't get old for me to say it!  Started out in Vancouver they have expanded into Toronto.  People in Toronto tell me that Guu started there - go figure!

I like to dine at the Guu at the two downtown locations.  The one on Thurlow is the one I usually like to visit when I am in Vancouver.  I love the lively atmosphere especially when sitting along the grill where the action is at.  You certainly feel like you are in Tokyo as they serve up a wide range of izakaya.

The Gastown location is a bit different with the kitchen not out in the open.  I was seated at the bar with my friend.  Normally this is where you would see the food being prepared.  In this case, we watched the alcohol being prepared!  So that meant a drink to start things off.


They have a wide assortment of drinks on the menu that are 'unique' to Guu.  I'm sure there is something suitable for everyone.  My drink was off their 'classic' section which consisted of red wine, cassis and mango juice all layered.  Definitely a sweeter drink but not a bad way to start dinner.

We weren't extremely hungry and didn't want to get the usual things off the Guu menu AND trying to keep it not too greasy.  The lucky three dishes included the duck breast, spicy agedashi tofu and salmon with 7 friends.  Salmon with 7 friends?  It caught my eye and I am not sure if I liked all 7 friends that joined the dish.






  


Duck was good, agedashi tofu was great, salmon and 7 friends? Not so much.  Took a risk and it didn't pay off.  It read better on the menu: garlic chips, onions, miso, diced sockeye salmon and so much more! How could I resist.  I forgot to mention it had a fresh egg yolk.  When I see egg yolk, my assumption is it is raw and gets mixed into something that is hot so it cooks.  I was wrong!  Egg yolk gets mixed in by the server and when you put all the goodness inside the seaweed, you soon discover it is a cold dish.  I'm not a fan of cold raw eggs and neither is my stomach.  I paid the price later!  

Dessert was a sweet tofu pudding.  Simple, but nothing to die for.  I guess my lesson learned is to stick to the usual, greasy, grilled, hot izakaya items.  It was a nice change of pace at this location as it is more laid back with the large bar. So depending on what you are wanting from your Guu experience, locations matters.  I'm leaning towards the downtown spots as it seems to be a better fit for izakaya in a smaller space and more energetic environment.  Still a big fan of Guu! 
Guu With Otokomae on Urbanspoon




No comments:

Post a Comment