Sunday 19 June 2011

Jelly Modern Doughnuts - Calgary, AB


Well... a review on doughnuts!  On my visit in Calgary I had to visit this hot spot that has created some local buzz in the sweet tooth arena.  Greeted by a clean, modern, open space and of course the case that contains a well organized display of doughnuts.  I had to have them all!  For $24.95 you could have a dozen which would cover it all - let the games begin!


This was Sunday's spread, consisting of everything from maple bacon, marshmellow to the classic jelly.  With only so much real estate in the stomach, between 3 of us, we had to strategically do a tasting to get a good feel for Jelly Modern Doughnuts.  

Carrot Cake Doughnut

The first bite was into the classic jelly.  My first thought was fresh.  It certainly didn't disappoint, but it didn't sent me to another stratosphere.  I continued my journey through a few more different doughnuts including the espresso, lemon curd and carrot cake.  I made a conclusion that everything was good, fresh and unique in it's own way.

Is it worth $24.95 a dozen? Maybe. They claim to use local ingredients, organic and all that good stuff. It's a refreshing change to the cupcake scene I suppose and definitely has the fun factor. I really like the concept and the branding they have done.  My one negative is the coffee. I was really hoping for a nice americano to balance it all out, but it was mediocre. Lacking crema and served in a small paper cup. Nonetheless,  a good Sunday afternoon experience that did leave me scraping off some chocolate! 


Jelly Modern Doughnuts on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment