Friday 20 May 2011

Qing Hua Dumpling - Montreal, Quebec



Montreal for Chinese dumplings?? Yes!  I was a bit surprised to see the top 3 restaurants on Urbanspoon for downtown to be Japanese, Chinese, then Japanese.   That said, I was dying to check out Qing Hua Dumpling for some authentic dumplings that would taste like "Siu Long Bao" - traditional dumplings from Eastern China.   

I was at a conference with limited time between sessions.  My first window of opportunity was shortly after lunch for a few hours.  I thought, what better way to experience Montreal then to eat some Chinese dumplings - nothing like local cuisine? 

I made my way on foot from the Delta Centre-ville to Lincoln Avenue through pouring rain.  I was on a mission!  After 25 minutes of walking I was completely drenched and had over- walked the address.  I turned back around to see that it was a tiny location sunk down below ground level.  You can see the not so amazing advertising on the window for ATM Cash and their dumpling logo.  By this time it was after 3p.m. and I was seated right away as there was only 2 other tables.  The decor was modern and as comfortable one would expect for a dumpling house.  The server wasn't pleasant or unpleasant but she got the job done.  

Now the food! After reviewing what seemed to be a hundred different combinations of ingredients for the "Soup Filled" dumpling I ordered (2) kinds steamed for a total of 15 pieces.  I ordered a pork & squid + pork, egg, zuchinni variety.  The dumplings came after 15 minutes and at first it didn't appear to be anything special. 

In fact, they looked extremely ordinary, but I was so very excited to anticipate the first bite.  My excitement led to making the rookie mistake.  I gave one solid bite into the dumpling and the explosion of the broth inside landed in a nice puddle - short of my pants.  I was surprised but shouldn't have been because that is what these dumplings are all about.  I recommend eating these in two different ways. First way is to bite a corner and suck the juices out first OR put the whole thing in your mouth and bite.  Remember to close your mouth or you will experience what you see on the right!


After 13 dumplings I ran out of room!  The experience was so fulfilling and easily better than any Siu Long Bao I have had in Hong Kong.  This place is the real deal.  It's authentic, the people are authentic, and they are skilled at making these soup filled dumplings!  Next time you are in Montreal, plan a trip to Qing Hua Dumpling - you won't regret it.  
Qing Hua Dumpling on Urbanspoon







5 comments:

  1. http://dumplingman.com/
    - this is the establishment these people are ripping off - I am the graphic artist (a Canadian who is based in NYC) who did the logo that has been stolen - it would be great if you did not support them. Thanks
    Charles George

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Charles - sorry to hear of the logo issues. I am sure you have taken the right avenues to get resolution. All the best!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Uhm it was good but far from better than Hong Kong.. Not sure where you went in Hong Kong but next time you go there, i'll let you know where to go ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Please do share! =) I was there a few months ago and had some dumplings in Tai Koo and it was good... Having this in Montreal was unexpected and certainly exceeded my expectations - thanks for the comment!

    ReplyDelete